Raised Bed For Balcony – 20 Tips And Ideas
Raised beds for balcony offer the possibility for gardeners even if a garden is not available. These functional plants are especially appreciated when living in the big cities, as they are easy to maintain and promise better harvest than a garden bed. As an alternative to the garden portion, the raised bed can be planned and designed according to the individual wishes and the given place.
Table of Contents
- 1 Raised bed for balcony – tips and ideas for erection and cultivation
- 2 Raised bed for balcony – Cultivation of vegetables and flowers in small spaces possible
- 3 Raised bed for the balcony – height and size according to individual wishes
- 4 Related Posts:
- 5 Planter for building or buying a balcony – alternatively plant bags or base bags
- 6 Build up and lay on the bed – tight wire on the ground displaces weeds
- 7 Build the raised bed yourself – cover the side walls with a fleece
- 8 Compact raised bed for building your own balcony – metal container
- 9 Wooden frame and side walls made of sheet metal
- 10 Raised bed with planting as visual protection
- 11 Planting – ornamental plants or flowers
- 12 Raised bed for balcony – mobile, functional and space saving
- 13 Raised bed for comfortable working height without bending
- 14 Salads in the raised bed
- 15 Herb garden in the raised bed for balcony
- 16 Mixed cultures in the raised bed for balcony
- 17 Install small ornamental plants in the raised bed
- 18 Flowers in the raised bed for balcony – hibiscus
- 19 Margeriten and chrysanthemums in the Raised Bed for balcony
Raised bed for balcony – tips and ideas for erection and cultivation
Elevated beds differ from flatbeds due to their higher structure and internal structure. Layer system from the ground provides for the best possible conditions for cultivation of vegetables or varied plantings within the fixed frame construction.
Raised bed for balcony – Cultivation of vegetables and flowers in small spaces possible
- Allow for gardening in the city
- The shape and material of the plant are individually selectable
- The plants are pleasant to maintain and protected by the elevated location
- Pests and vermin are difficult to reach
- No fertilization
- Two to three times higher harvest as on a flat bed with the same size in the garden
Raised bed for the balcony – height and size according to individual wishes
A raised bed can be built and planted from wood, stone or gabions. The pleasant height for the further garden work is 80 to 100 centimeters and this displaces the constant bending during the gardening.
Planter for building or buying a balcony – alternatively plant bags or base bags
Space-saving raised beds are available in a large variety on the market – the conventional ones made of wood, thin sheet metal or made of fabric – planting bags for wall mounting or substrate bags.
Build up and lay on the bed – tight wire on the ground displaces weeds
A raised bed can be built relatively unproblematically. In principle, it is a huge box of flowers made of any material, usually made of wood, but also of metal or plastic. It is very important to keep moisture and nutrients in the raised bed and do not leak, so it is advisable to cover the side walls from the inside with pond film or fleece and spread a tight wire against vole at the bottom of the plant.
Build the raised bed yourself – cover the side walls with a fleece
A raised area is a maximum width of 120 centimeters, so you could easily reach the center. A sensible bed should be at least 200 centimeters long, so that the earth can be scooped out and renewed after 5-6 years.
Compact raised bed for building your own balcony – metal container
High-bed plants are another way to breed plants in small spaces. The design should be made of impregnated wood and stable. For this purpose also discarded tables, which with a bit of craftsmanship, as well as suitable boards, are converted into correct raised beds for balcony.
Wooden frame and side walls made of sheet metal
The best time to build a raised bed is in autumn or spring. In the spring there would be more material for filling through the woodcut and could be used as a supplement to the soil in the plant.
Raised bed with planting as visual protection
The orientation of the balcony on which the raised bed is placed plays an essential role in the selection of suitable plants, which are later built in. Disadvantage is only a shady location. A good working height and more planted area of the balcony box ensure a comfortable and rich harvest.
Planting – ornamental plants or flowers
The preliminary considerations, which planting the raised bed for balcony should receive, are important for the appearance and at the same time for the substrate. In principle, the material becomes ever finer and the individual layers are 20 to 30 centimeters. On the wire grid at the bottom of the box are equally coarse branches and small root pieces, followed by thinner branches, above the grass shadows are laid or if none is present – thin blanket or fleece. Then foliage, perennial remains, lawn cut and raw compost are distributed and filled with mineral mix to the edge.
Raised bed for balcony – mobile, functional and space saving
When planting the raised bed, there are only small varieties of vegetables and ornamental plants, and space-grabbing species, such as courgettes and pumpkins, scare off other plants. The selected varieties can be sown directly into the bed or set as young plants. So that all plants get enough light, the high ones are placed under the center and the low ones – at the edge.
Raised bed for comfortable working height without bending
It is important to choose ornamental or useful plants because there should be sufficient clearance there between and this is not always present. In the first year plant species can be cultivated, which need more nutrients, and in the second – predominantly herbs.
Salads in the raised bed
Decisive prerequisite for a rich harvest is the right time for sowing. On most seed packs, a reference is given for the appropriate period according to the variety. In unfavorable weather one should avoid sowing in cold and wet soil. Depending on the plant, the main planting and harvesting period varies between February and October.
Herb garden in the raised bed for balcony
Combining different plants and cultivating them in the same raised bed has several advantages. Pests always have a taste for a particular species, and are lured away by others. Mixed crops provide variety under the planting and delight with different flowering and harvesting times.
Mixed cultures in the raised bed for balcony
- Aubergines, cucumbers, leeks, tomatoes, celery, potatoes
Install small ornamental plants in the raised bed
- Fennel, carrots, garlic, peppers, radishes, salads, beetroots, onions
From the third year onwards, you will mainly grow herbs, peas, beans and strawberries.
Flowers in the raised bed for balcony – hibiscus
If you only want flowers in the flowerbed, you should fill it with a humus-rich flowering soil and be careful not for too large flower varieties, as the area in the bedding box is limited, however. Similarly, as in the cultivation of vegetables, it is recommended in the second and third year to decide for middle and weak-hearted.
Margeriten and chrysanthemums in the Raised Bed for balcony
- Chrysanthemums, geraniums, sunflowers, tulips
In the second year:
- Dahlias, gloxinia, lion’s moth
And from the third year:
- Azaals, begonias, petunias, primroses, pansies